Thursday, May 21, 2009

Celebrating sunshine

Hi everyone! It's gorgeous here in New Jersey this week. To celebrate the sunshine my friend Mavis and I went on a picnic today. It was so nice to be outside. We went to a park with a lake or pond. I took a ton of pictures. Today I'm just going to share the birds but in the next day or two I'll post pictures of the park itself! It's really a fine place to walk, you just have to watch out for goose poop and strollers! LOL



I think this is a gray heron. It's the first I've seen in NJ. I often saw them in Florida. Hmmm....think this guy made a wrong turn?











A lovely pair of Mallard ducks catching some rays! This couple may be visiting relatives too as I've not seen them at the park before.









This is an adult Canada goose. Many people call them Canadian geese but the real name for them is "Canada" not "Canadian" - doesn't make much sense but there you have it!

I love them but overpopulation is becoming a problem as they are creating pollution problems in water areas! It's becoming quite common to "hire" Border collies to chase them away!




A family photo. I think a pair usually has four to six gooslings. Since they mate for life the male is almost always close at hand!









A baby...isn't it sweet?










Having fun with their friends...








Dolly likes to lay on the landing of our stairway. The sun comes in through a window over the front door, making this an ideal spot for sunbathing! What's your favorite way to celebrate sunshine?






I hope wherever you are, you have something to celebrate today! Thanks for stopping by. Have a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment