Saturday, September 5, 2009

Close to home...

Hi y'all (practicing for my trip south)...
How's your weekend going? Mine is off to a great start. I had a really nice time today. Mavis and I met for lunch in downtown Burlington. It's really a pretty area and not what you might expect when you think of New Jersey. Burlington is quite historic!

It's kinda sad to live in an area for almost a decade without knowing much about its history, don't you think? Do you play "tourist" where you live? I often feel like I should be better at being a local tourist (is that an oxymoron or what?)

The main street through town ends at the Delaware River. This riverboat has been there for a while but I just found out today that they used to do riverboat cruises down to Philadelphia. I wish I had known that, it would have been fun!


Looking across the river: This house is actually in Pennsylvania. It's beautiful and what a view they must have!

The Burlington Bristol Bridge
The midway point is the state line between New Jersey and Pennsylvania

The only postcard I've ever found for Burlington features this bridge, I can't help wondering why when there are other things to see.

Mavis and I had lunch at the Cafe Gallery.

A view from our table


After lunch we went to Olde City Quilts for a one-day quilting class called Hook, Line, and Sinker


It was a great class. The teacher/owner Judy (standing) was exceptionally patient and a lot of fun. The other ladies Joan (far left) and her daughter Lynn (in front of Judy) were so sweet. Mavis (in pink) was a great classmate, I'm so glad she went with me. I had originally signed up to take the class alone and then Mavis agreed to go too. It made it much more fun for me. A big thanks to Judy for putting together a great afternoon class.

My friend Journey is always encouraging me to explore my creativity so this class was one of my ways of doing just that. I am not sure I will ever make a full size quilt but I enjoyed the smaller projects and look forward to trying some more of them. There are so many craft type things that interest me, I love taking classes to learn about them. Who knows, I might even become one of those "domestic goddesses" doing cozy crafting projects. Martha Stewart, watch out!

As you can see, today was spent enjoying simple pleasures - close to home. What simple pleasures do you enjoy?

You know I can't end a blog without a whisker moment so I'll share Dolly enjoying two of her simple pleasures...

Playing with her purple catnip fish - which she loves to dig out of her toy basket (at left of picture)

and being cute!
Have a wonderful evening and thanks so much for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment