Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I think I loved you before I met you...

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit. It makes me happy that you are here.

Several years ago a group called Savage Garden recorded a song "I think I loved you before I met you." It's one of those songs that there are probably a lot more people who like it than who actually ADMIT to liking it. But I've never shied away from admitting my pedestrian taste (I have long acknowledged my love of Barry Manilow and YES, I still have and listen to Donny Osmond cds LOL). But that's not what I'm really writing about tonight. My seemingly-questionable taste in music may surface again sometime but for now...

Do you believe in love at first sight? Isn't that what the title would indicate? Now, I know love-at-first sight usually conjures up the romantic type love between a man/woman (or for same-sex couples a woman/woman or man/man). And yes, I do believe that romantic love-at-first sight exists (for both gay and straight couples).

More interestingly (to me - because I'm not in a place where romantic love is particularly on my radar) I experienced love-at-first-sight last week. It was a building. For several years now I have been enamored of the Arts & Craftsman period architecture. So when Mavis, Jackie, and I went to the Grove Park Inn in Asheville to see Gingerbread Houses I discovered a bonus. The Grove Park Inn is the most incredible example of Arts & Craftsman design I've ever seen (in person or in pictures).

If this building were a person, I would want to spend my life with it. I love the clean, straight lines of the detailing. I love the furnishings. I love the beamed ceilings. The windows. The doors. All of it. I was so awed that I didn't even get any pictures of the interior.

I've felt this 'loved you before I met you' about cities (Charleston, SC) and regions (Tuscany). I have experienced it with friends who I knew an instantaneous connection with. I have even had glimpses of it with romantic partners (no need for names here since obviously they didn't last LOL). But I had NEVER felt it for a building before.

Have you? What aesthetic style moves you? And why?

Oh, and just so you know...it doesn't really even surprise me. I discovered that I love architecture and beautiful woodworking when I was in middle school. I remember having to do a research paper in 8th grade and I did mine on architecture. I had a brief period where I thought that would be my career, until I discovered the amount of math required.

I think that this Grove Park Inn experience was to remind me of dreams. I used to dream of traveling to lovely locations. I had forgotten, until recently, how much I used to enjoy reading travel magazines. I haven't done any real traveling in ages now. I also have dreamed of someday getting a craftsman style home and refurbishing it.

What dreams do you have? Any that you've put aside? What should we do to rekindle those dreams? To move towards them? Or is it enough to HAVE the dreams without needing to actively pursue them?

Whatever your dreams - I hope you someday live them.

No comments:

Post a Comment