Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Once upon a time...

Hello. I'm glad you're here.

Have you ever had a time in your life when you keep getting glimpses of the you you used to be? That might be a good thing. Or it might not. I guess it depends on what era of your life you recall and if you were happy with the you you were at the time.

The last few weeks I've been getting little reminders. They pop up in conversations or come in messages. It all started a few weeks ago when my buddy Mark posted something on my FB page about the happy & crazy girl I used to be. Huh? Who? Me. Oh, well, he knew me when I was 19 and dating his younger brother. So yeah, I guess that description fit. I kind of liked that glimpse of my past.

Then I went to Asheville. While I was waiting in the airport for Mavis to arrive I wandered around the magazine shop. The travel magazines caught my attention. Hey. I used to love reading those travel magazines and dreaming of the trips.

Yesterday in a conversation with my aunt I mentioned moving to Florida. I wanted a job with the FDIC there. I really wanted a particular job. A lot. I called the office and was told there were two positions doing that job. Both were filled by people who loved their jobs and weren't expected to leave. I kept checking back. Often. After a few months I got a phone call - they had allocated a 3rd position in that department. I was invited to interview. I got the job. I LOVED that job. It was my favorite job EVER. But I also love that once upon a time I was gutsy (insane??) enough to move to a place where I knew no one, with no job only a dream of a certain job. And I was persistent. And I got the job.

I found a notebook that I used to keep. It had a list in it of things I wanted to have and to do. It was written in the early 90s. The notebook had long been put away but at some point in the decade and a half since I've accomplished almost everything on that list.

For many years I was a person who sent birthday cards and wrote letters and thank you notes. I kept in touch with people. I've fallen out of those habits.

So...2011 is only 11 days away. Nothing says 'new year' like becoming the person I used to be.

If you read this (and I hope you will) please email me your address, your birth date and your other special dates. I don't know where I'll be living but between reading travel magazines, working my dream job (whatever THAT turns out to be) and being the happy crazy person my friend Mark would recognize - I'll write you a letter. Or send you a birthday card.

No comments:

Post a Comment