Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Meta-blog

Hi Again,

As my friend and former professor, Lorin, taught me "meta communication" is communication about, well, communication. So a blog about blogging can only be a metablog, right?

For once, my blog will be brief. I'm wondering how blog authors build their reader base. I've seen blogs with a large following. I'm very grateful for those who "follow" my blog. I consider it an honor to think that anyone takes the time to read my words. And I'm guessing there may be a few readers who aren't listed on the "followers" list. But if I wanted to increase my readership, how would I go about it?

Any suggestions? Do you "follow" blogs? If so, what drew you to them? What keeps you going back? And what things might one incorporate or learn from those blogs to help one become a better blogger?

Thanks for reading and for your suggestions. I look forward to hearing from you.

1 comment:

  1. WOOHOO! META!
    I read a pretty good number of blogs, though sporadically. Many of them are written by people I know. Those that are not are either providing information I can use (vegan recipes or yoga poses, for example) or pondering/discussing issues that I'm thinking about (Buddhist or yogic thought).
    I certainly don't have a huge readership, but I'm up to around 1500 page hits a month, which is a major increase from last September. It happened mostly through me posting to the blogs of other people who talk about similar topics, and those posts then directed people back to my blog. Talking about your topic with like-minded folks on Twitter is another way to get a little more traffic. It's really kind of like any form of marketing. You need to decide what your "branding" is and then reach out to people who are interested in that. :D

    ReplyDelete