Saturday, February 21, 2009

The things we keep

The last couple of months have really made me stop to think about the things we keep. Cleaning out all of mom's possessions and deciding what I wanted to bring home with me has been enlightening.


By nature I'm not a sentimental person so there was no real temptation to want to keep it all but there were a few items that really called to me...


The last time I saw mom she told me a story about these two pieces. When my dad was around 8 years old he worked all day one Saturday for his aunt. She paid him 25 cents (this would have been around 1935). The next Saturday he worked for her again to earn an additional 25 cents. He used that 50 cents to purchase these two figurines for his mom!













My mom loved angels. They were EVERYWHERE in her house. Some were frilly, some were glass...etc. This wooden one (with Believe carved into the bottom) was probably one of the most simple ones she had. I love it because it's unpretentious and beautiful to the eye and touch! The angel is holding a heart. I think it's a good representation of mom...she did believe. She believed in her faith and her family.
















This little rocker really spoke to me. It's foldable and has such pretty lines. I can easily envision it in the "parlor" of my someday Victorian house! Sometimes the past, present, and future come together. This is one of those pieces that embody that for me...the past of it being in mom's house, the present pleasure I have in it here in my own home and knowing that it will look nice in my dream home!



What are the things you keep?

Speaking of keeping....Miss Dolly is one of my two "adopted" kitties. Last year her person died at the age of 91. The lady's daughter couldn't keep the cats due to allergies so Dolly (and Lacey) came to live with us. We're very happy to have her.










She certainly has made herself at home here! She enjoys her sunbathing! I interrupted her nap taking my pictures but I am pretty sure she's been able to fall back asleep!



We're having lovely weather today. It's almost spring-like here. I hope that wherever you are, you're making memories you will want to keep!









No comments:

Post a Comment