Saturday, November 27, 2010

Batteries charged

Hello again,

Yesterday I took the day to recharge my batteries. I decided that meant absolutely, positively no "shoulds" for me. Aren't 'shoulds' just the worst energy drains? Instead I focused all of my energies on doing things that nurture me.

Ironically that list included going to the grocery store and buying foods that are good for me! Fruit & veggies and some Quorn chickenless cutlets (if you've not tried them, I highly recommend). Cleaned my kitchen to make it user-friendly and actually prepared a meal last night. Do you know I had truly forgotten how to turn on my oven? Yes, dear ones, it had been THAT long! LOL Luckily the computerized screen told me to 'push start to turn on.'

I even baked a Sara Lee Sweet Potato pie. I love sweet potato pie - much better than pumpkin. The Sara Lee version tastes good and was easy to make.

I also sat around and read a lot. I finished Saving CeeCee Honeycut and then read Kristen Hannah's Comfort and Joy. Both were very enjoyable. Escapism at its finest.

A quick trip in the afternoon to Wally-world for a cozy blanket for my bed and a fresh new pair of fuzzy houseslippers was surprisingly easy. Their big sales ended at 11 and all of the crazies had migrated on to the next sale. No waiting in line! I'm just gonna say that I'd rather pay a wee bit more for what I need than to risk life & limb for the possible ridiculous bargain. If you were out in the Black Friday rush, I hope you got some incredible deals and survived uninjured.

My sister, Karen, called and invited me to come help her decorate her tree. I'm not a fan of tree-decorating so I declined. Karen & I frequently use the response from friends where Phoebe said "I wish I could but I don't want to." I love that line - no silly excuses, just straight-out there honesty. Why is it that we often feel the necessity to wrap our truths in flimsy excuses? I mean, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I have discovered that it works better for me to just say 'no thank you' to an invitation that doesn't appeal to me. If there really IS a reason I can't (or decide not to) do something, I will give it. But if it's just something I don't WANT to do, why make up something? In my opinion, no thank you seems much more honest. But I digress...

Fun time playing with my kitties and a couple of luxurious naps rounded out the day.

At the moment my batteries feel fully charged and I'm ready to face another day at work. What wonderful plans do you have for the weekend?

I hope that whatever you are doing, it brings you joy. And I hope that in these early days of the 'season of giving' you remember to give yourself some quiet time to relax & unwind.

No comments:

Post a Comment