Sunday, November 28, 2010

What I'd REALLY like to know about you...

Hello again,

I'm so happy you've stopped by again. It's an honor to me to think of you taking time from your day to visit my blog.

As you've probably figured out by now, my blogs are mostly about whatever is on my mind at the moment I sit down at my computer. And this morning, as I sit in my fuzzy pink pjs with an orange tabby drapped across my right arm, I'm wondering about YOU.

Anyone with an email address has undoubtedly received at least one email that asks you to answer questions about yourself and forward to everyone you've ever known. The questions range from what you're wearing (which is why I mentioned my pjs, in case you were wondering) to what you ate last, what your middle name is, etc. But the truth is - does ANYONE really care about those things? I love my friends - I truly do - but these questions don't help me to know the person or what matters to them or how they think or feel.

So today I'm going to ask things that I DO want to know about you.

I was reading Inner Excavation (by Liz Lameroux) yesterday. In one section the author talked about our daily routines that sustain and nurture our spirits. It could be taking a walk in nature or yoga or prayer or...so...

1) Do you have daily routines designed to nurture your spirit? If so, would you share them with me? And how did you create your routines? Was it pre-planned or did they just sort of happen?

As most of you know by now I hate my job. Truly detest it. I don't like being yelled at by dissatisfied customers. It drains me. I hate the time spent in a cubicle, having every minute monitored. The pay stinks and the hours stink more. But what I HATE most about my job is that I don't feel like what I'm doing matters. It doesn't, in any way, make the world a better place. Not even for a minute. I try to at least contribute something by being nice to the callers, in hopes that a pleasant voice will at least make a moment of their time less stressful. But what I really want is to have a job where each day I've contributed something meaningful. And perhaps made someone's life better.

2) Do you feel like your job matters? If so, how? If not, why not?

I know one of you (and most of you will know who I am talking about) has a career where on a regular basis she touches the lives of students. I am sure there are days (or perhaps semesters) where she grows weary of having freshmen (or sophmores or seniors) gaze dully because they are only their for the required credits. But I also know - first hand - that this particular instructor has the ability to really IMPACT lives. To instill a passion for a subject or for learning in general. On the days where the meetings are tedious and the hours are long, I hope you remember that people like me are FOREVER grateful for the experience of being in your classs.

I realize that there are many ways to contribute to the greater good that don't involve the hours served at work. So...question #3

3) What do you do in your life (outside of work) that allows you the satisfaction of knowing you've contributed something? How did you become involved?

In the book I just finished Saving CeeCee Honeycut the main character was a 12 year-old girl whose mother was mentally unstable and who died, leaving the child confused and angry. I loved the book for many reasons but one of them was that the story was really about the power of women to make a difference. One of the primary characters was CeeCee's great-aunt Tootie who adopted her. Tootie encouraged CeeCee to find her 'fire' - her passion for something that would give her life purpose & meaning.

Now, I know my Mom loved me. Alot. But I don't recall her ever suggesting that finding one's passion was important. Maybe she didn't have one either. So, I'm turning to you, dear readers, and asking

4) How on earth do you find your passion? Your purpose? (I know this is a repeat of question #3, but as the title above suggests I'm asking questions that I REALLY want to know. :)

5) Did you have women (or men) around you who encouraged you to live out loud? Who were they? Did they teach by example or merely by words?

In my undergrad & graduate classes these were called 'essential questions.' I guess that's because they require more than general yes/no answer.

Maybe you'll read the blog today and be bored silly. But maybe not. And maybe you'll take the time to comment with your answers. Or maybe not. But these are the things I'd REALLY like to know about you.

And if you want to share your middle name, what you're wearing and what you had for breakfast this morning too, I'm fine with that.

You've gifted me with your company today. I'm grateful.

Hope you have a lovely day, full of moments that matter and memories that keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment