Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fieldtrip!

This morning I decided to visit one of my favorite "local" attractions, Longwood Gardens. It's not actually local - it's about an hour away, in Kennett Square, PA. Longwood Gardens was once part of Pierre DuPont's estate! Talk about "living large" -it's a gorgeous place! The weather was perfect for an outdoor stroll. Maybe it was the joy of being outside, knowing that winter is behind us, or something in the air but it felt like Nature's church! Care to stroll the park with me?


The steps lead to an open-air theater where they offer a variety of performances throughout the year.






There weren't many tulips blooming yet but the pansies were so pretty & fresh! In the midst of all the purple ones there was a single yellow/purple bloom! Dare to be different!




Among the few tulips that were dressed up and showing off their glory, these yellows were so festive!












There's a temporary exhibit of tree-houses at Longwood Gardens this spring! I love the windows on this one. As I was looking at it I had to wonder...why is it that little boys are more likely to have tree houses than little girls? Did you have a tree house when you were a kid? I never did even though I lived beside a huge wooded area. My boy cousins had a tree house though! I would have loved a place to take my books and be far away from everything else!

There were signs by all of the tree houses describing them as "Nature's Castles" - and like any self-respecting castle, this one had dragons to guard it!


Inside the tree house...








The meadow walk was pure bliss...in some areas I didn't see another soul. The only sounds were birds and breeze! It seemed like a form of meditation!





Another tree house:
And another....







It didn't even bother me to be that high up!





Potted tulips outside the restaurant serve as a sign of coming attractions!









In the conservatory...(I know...doesn't that sound like it should have a "Mrs. Green with a knife" in the sentence???) If you don't know what I am talking about get a "Clue" (the game, that is!)



I had never seen such green flowers! At first I thought they were shamrocks but the sign says "Hellabore." Aren't they pretty?







More of the conservatory...















And still more...someone said the flowers were 'hydrangeas' - they were gorgeous...in all different colors but my favs were the blue/purples.









Blue/purple/pink was the color theme of the conservatory right now! Lucky for me because I love these colors! They change the color theme around frequently. I'm sure the next time I visit it will be very different.


The sign identified these as Great Pacific Delphiniums (sorry for any misspelling!). The blooms had blue and purple in varying shades. Gorgeous!

I hope you enjoyed the photos. It was such fun taking them. I wish you could have been there with me since I was unable to capture the fragrance! It was magnificient.


Don't you love spring? What does spring look like where you are? What captures your imagination or makes your soul soar?


Being outside in a beautiful setting and surrounding myself with color makes my heart smile. Of course I can't end a blog without a 'whiskers' moment. Lacey sends her love...


Have a wonderful week! Thanks for visiting.






No comments:

Post a Comment